Thursday, January 3, 2013

Merida, Mexico

Last day of last city in last country!

I have been eating every meal at the food stalls on the end of town: delicious tortas, tacos, tamales made with chicken, carnitas, and conchinita; that´s pork marinated Yucateca-style in chilies and pit-roasted overnight. The perfect breakfast!

Wandering around town, I solved the mystery of what the ruins looked like the first Westerners to see them! I was very happy about that, seeing as none of the previous sites (especially the imaculate Chichen Itza) gave any clue as to what they looked like before the renovations.

Museum of Anthropology: Let´s see what´s inside!

Ye olde Chichen Itza, with "The Castle" on the right. Mystery solved.

Government buildings on the main square in the morning sun

Oldest, and in my opinion most simple and beautiful, cathedral in Central America

Old church down the street.

On my way back from the museum, I ran into a man´s shop that serviced and sold typewriters. The model above is a 70 or 80 year old model, Spanish keyboard, in new condition. He let me tap away at the keys!





And this gem, fully working in the back of his store. An appropriate way to end the last post on a successful trip:

No comments:

Post a Comment