Friday, March 27, 2015

Leaving Hong Kong

I had a great time here. Everything is super safe, easy to navigate, and in English. The people are friendly enough for such a large metropolis. Also healthy. Despite their delicious and ubiquitous cuisine, I only saw two individuals out of the thousands that could be considered overweight.  Very health- and image-conscious. 

An unbelievable number of public works projects keeps everything ship-shape. Sweepers keep everything impeccable. Cameras almost everywhere. Government messages to stand aside on the subway and on elevators, hold handrails, don't spit, etc. are everywhere, and people follow them. What's more, I coughed a total of 3 times in 2 days and I remember each one because each time I received glances of mixed concern and repulsion. These people don face masks if they have so much as a sore throat.


Also they only look at their mobile phones. 50% of people on the metro, escalators, and as many walking in the streets as well. Thanks to the low crime rate there aren't any repercussions, but their slow pace adds obstacles to quick progress on foot. Also since everyone is openly flaunting the latest 6 plus or Galaxy, my lowly iPhone 5s doesn't get noticed at all when I pull it out to check the map. 

Time to grab breakfast in Hong Kong's amazing airport and its unparalleled food court: congee with century eggs and dried duck, chaa siu bao (bbq pork buns), and pork pastries. Also a flower and sweet chili jelly dessert and grapefruit juice. I was stuffed for my flight! 


No comments:

Post a Comment