Monday, December 19, 2011

Delhi Once More

Just 24 hours until I fly out of India for real this time. A couple errands around the city, a visit to Humayun’s tomb, I’m out of here.

I snapped this one of a group of friends checking out an old mosque on the tomb complex.



Humayun’s mausoleum kicked off theIislamic-inspired Mughal tomb trend, the most outstanding example of which is the Taj Mahal. The use of red sandstone and white marble is strikingly beautiful.



I finally got a picture of the grass clippers here in India. I don’t recall ever having seen a single lawn mower. Instead I see teams of two or three workers armed with sickles methodically working away at the grass. As with most Indian people doing photogenic things, these women outside of Humayun’s tomb demanded baksheesh for posing. Sheesh.


Just one last stop: the Urdu Bazaar outside the Jama Masjid.


Check out the sweaters for sale. I see grown men wearing these hideous things much more than I should.



In the evening I finally made it to Indira Gandhi International. Among the restricted carry-on items is Indian style pickle. Who’s to say whether it’s as dangerous as guns or cricket bats. Hopefully they won’t find my little jar of the stuff…


No comments:

Post a Comment