Monday, December 24, 2012

Antigua, Guatemala

Had lunch today of spicy cabbage on my Loroco (flower) and chicken pupusas, with one of my new Oregonian friends. I needed something to eat after surviving the winding and endless markets jam packed with Christmas shoppers. Only reason I was there in the first place was to get gifts for a little exchange with my dorm-mates with whom I will be doing a gift exchange. Seems appropriate to celebrate with those I'm currently living with.

This morning I saw off our other Canadian friend on her way down to San Pedro. We hiked up to Cerro de la Cruz for sandwiches and views of the town below the imposing Volcan de Agua. After that I headed over on another volcano, Pacaya, for a hike that ended up at a vent warm enough to roast marshmallows by the sunset. Yum at 2300 meters and a well/deserved treat after a whole day of hiking.

Front of one of the many churches: Iglessia y Convento de Nuestra Señora de la Merced

From the main street dotted with cafes. That's Volcan de Aguas behind the clocktower.
 
 
Also the paint scheme of the buildings in this town is tightly controlled. There are stores that sell the precise colors allowed. Interesting, colorful.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment